In 2007, about 5,500 farms produce milk in the Walloon Region (or 35% of the total number of Walloon farms). 40.5% of the dairy farms are specialized in dairy production (OTE 41) and 30.5% of the dairy farms are oriented in mixed bovine production “milk and meat” (OTE 43). Most of the specialized dairy farms are located in the district of Liege (36 % of the Walloon dairy herd and 29.5% of the total number of dairy cows holders): in the grassland region and in Haute Ardenne. There are also a lot of farms in the loamy area, Condroz and Ardenne.
Nitrogen Sustainable management programme (PGDA) (started in February 2007) puts constraints on:
- The soil linkage rate (the quantity of organic nitrogen produced reported to the spreading capacity) must be lower or equal to 1.
- The spreading norms: 115 kg organic N/ha/year on crops, 230 kg organic N/ha/year on grasslands, with a maximum of 170 organic N/ha/year in average, on the farm, when located on vulnerable areas.
- The maximum total nitrogen quantity: 250 kg total N/ha/year on crops, 350 kg total N/ha/year on grasslands.
- The storage conditions for the organic Nitrogen on the farm and in the fields.
- The spreading periods and conditions.
- There was an improvement of the river quality in the Walloon Region during the last 30 years: the organic pollution and the phosphorous content have decreased. Regarding to the nitrogen (NO3- and NH4+), the evolution of the river quality is slower. There is also an important variability between the rivers.
- The contamination of the groundwater by NO3- (concentrations higher than 40mg/l) is still slightly increasing, especially in some vulnerable areas.
|Agriculture area||62.2 ha (2007)|
|% forage crops (maize…)||12|
|% others crops||29|
|Mineral fertilizer per ha||109 kg N (2001)|
|28 kg P2O5 (2001)|
|Dairy cows||40.7 (2007)|
|Milk per cow||5,796 kg (2007)|
|Milk quota||225,105 kg (2007)|
|Main diet of the cows||45% grazed grassland|
|45% grazed silage+hay|
|10% maize silage|
|1,624 Kg concentrate/cows|
|Time in pasture and period||1 May - 1 November (170 days)|
- Michel Piérard - Malèves Ste Marie (Perwez)
- Eddy Pussemier - Ophain Bois-Seigneur-Isaac
- Jean-Claude Willem - Vielsam
- Dominique Bilocq - Châtillon (Saint-Léger)
- Yves Stradiot - Hoves (Silly)
- Wilfried Vanbiervliet - Rebecq - Rognon
- Johan Heffinck - Morlanwelz-Mariemont
- Etienne Allard - Petit-Enghien (Enghien)
- Jacques De Boel - Willerzie
- Vincent Sépult - Malempré (Manhay)
- Jacques Labeye - Theux
- Alain Ponthier - Sprimont
- Alain Ransy - Beaufays (Chaudfontaine)
- Jean-Louis Bastin - Stavelot
- Olivier Lorge - Thy-le-Château
- Jacky Schaus - Charneux(Herve)
- Bernard Neycken - Andrimont
- René Theissen - Manderfeld
- Eric Jonkeau - Houffalize
- Thomas Plennevaux - Ochamps
- Philippe Deglin - Libramont